When you have a large family, one thing you quickly realize kills your grocery budget are foods that come out of a box or a bag already partially prepared. They are also not the healthiest choices out there…but that’s another post for later. So Big Daddy and I we went on a quest to find the PERFECT brownie recipe that didn’t originate from a box for our herd and stumbled upon this one. The perfect size (sheet cake pan) and full of fudgy moist goodness. And if you can keep them around long enough to share them, they get rave reviews from friends and family, too.
Big Family Brownies
- 8 eggs
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups of butter , melted (yes that is right 2 cups – remember these are for a crowd)
- 1 1/2 cups Hershey’s cocoa (that is what her recipe says and that is what I used)
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- Beat eggs with a mixer in a large bowl. Then add sugar, salt, vanilla and beat for 1 minute.
- Add melted butter and blend. In another bowl, mix flour and cocoa with a whisk until well blended,
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and mix until well combined.
- Spread onto a greased jelly roll pan (12 x 17) and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes and spread with frosting.
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa
Blend powdered sugar, butter, and cocoa along with enough milk to make the frosting a spreadable consistency. Spread over the brownies after they had cooled for 15 minutes. Keep spreading as the frosting melts making it nice and even on the brownies. Allow brownies to continue to cool. Makes 30 good sized brownies.
(Original Recipe Can Be Found at Real Mom Kitchen)